Youth Volunteer Opportunities
At-Home Youth Volunteer Opportunities
Help us provide comfort and entertain the many animals in our care by completing a volunteer project at home.
- Host a supply drive. Schools, teams, and organizations are welcome to host supply drives for HRA. Items may be purchased directly from our Amazon wish list and delivered to HRA. Get creative when planning your supply drive marketing and advertising strategy!
- Go on a scavenger hunt. Many items on our wish list can also be found in your cabinets and closets at home. We accept such things as gently worn towels and blankets, unopened cat and dog food, and unopened jars of, creamy peanut butter and canned pumpkin!
- Throw a Pet Pantry Party. Gather supplies, invite your friends, and have a great time filling food and treat bags for dogs and cats in our community. Complete instructions are here. For more information about HRA’s Pet Pantry click here.
To Receive Student Service Learning (SSL) Credit
HRA is happy to sign paperwork verifying student service learning (SSL) hours for projects completed outside of the shelter. Volunteer projects such as no-sew blankets and supply drives are always appreciated. (Be sure to keep track of your time!)
Students may email their completed SSL paperwork to [email protected] for a supervisor’s signature To receive credit for a volunteer project or supply drive, please follow the steps below:
- Obtain SSL paperwork from your school.
- Closely follow the linked instructions:
- Keep an accurate log of your time.
- Complete your SSL paperwork leaving only the signature blank (our Tax ID is 53-0219724).
- Deliver your items to HRA’s Oglethorpe location Monday - Sunday, 12 – 6 p.m.
- Ring the bell and wait for an attendant to come to the door. Please do not leave items outside of the shelter. Take a picture of your items before submitting them to HRA. Snapping a photo in front of the building is great.
- Email the photo of your items and form (pdf preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The volunteer team will email you back with the completed form once they have confirmed your special delivery!
In order to ensure delivered items are safe for our animals, we are only able to sign off on time spent collecting the items listed on our wish lists or volunteer projects completed according to instructions.
Have another project in mind? Email [email protected] with your idea!
Because our volunteers do so many tasks independently, we are not able to sign court-ordered documents that attest to our direct supervision.