People and Animal Cardio Klub (PACK)
The People and Animal Cardio Klub (PACK) consists of current Humane Rescue Alliance volunteers who run with our adoptable dogs, providing additional outdoor recreation and enrichment while they wait for their new homes.
PACK runs Saturday mornings at 8:30 AM with dogs from both the New York Avenue and Oglethorpe St adoption centers. Ideally, volunteers are able to pick up a dog from one of the adoption centers and transport to Rock Creek Park or the National Arboretum.
How to Get Involved with PACK
- Sign up to attend a general HRA volunteer orientation here.
- Following orientation, prospective volunteers who are the best fit for HRA sign up for shelter dog training.
- After spending some time in the shelter, volunteers interested in PACK may attend a PACK orientation.
- After attending 3 PACK outings, volunteers may train to transport a dog to the PACK run. These trainees will be assigned a PACK mentor whom they will shadow for 2 additional outings.
- After completing 2 shadow PACKs, the trainee becomes a fully-fledged PACK volunteer. Welcome to the PACK!
Please note, from start to finish, it can take about 3 months to complete PACK training, though you do participate in PACK as you train. We ask PACK volunteers to commit to two outings per month; each outing is about 2-3 hours. Participants can run or walk, and the distance is approximately 5K.
Want to join this exceptional group of HRA volunteers? Sign up for a new volunteer orientation!